Thursday, February 16, 2012

Dancing Through the New Year


On November 19th, 1992 I was born. 19 years later, on November 19th, 2011 my 18 year old cousin, Sarah, was involved in a fatal car accident which killed her. Sarah has always been my inspiration to stay active through dance. She fought through a lot during her life. We both had been dancing for 15 years at that point. I stopped when I graduated high school until January 2012. Sarah’s death has opened my eyes to a whole new light within dance, and I could not imagine a better way to remember Sarah besides through dancing. Sarah was an amazing lyrical dancer while I have always been more hip hop ad jazz. I have always wanted to try lyrical, and Sarah is my inspiration to succeed and try new things since the being of this year.

For my Motor Development class this semester we were asked to enter a contest where we would make a video and enter it into a contest. The video was to be about a healthy new year's resolution. My healthy new year's resolution is to start dance again in memory of Sarah. In addition to talking about our resolution we must explain how we use technology to help us keep this resolution.

Dancing involves a lot of technology. Besides the obvious communication through email and texting, we just Facebook to stay connected. Facebook is great because it gives everyone a chance to see what is going on, and keeps everyone involved in the conversations. Anyone can post on it to give their ideas for new dances, costumes, or any other ideas they may have. Each choreographer has a group set up for their specific dance, and this way we can keep our dance separated and easier to talk about. Facebook is the easiest way to keep in touch with everyone to have a group discussion.

Another big part of dance is video taping practices to help see where our mistakes are. It is extremely important to dance to be together and stay on beat, but it is also very hard especially when you have people of all different skill levels like the Dance Company. We tape practices and analyze them to see what parts of the dance we need to work on. 


Below is my video submission. Please click here to vote for my video. It would really mean a lot to me and my family. I am dancing on for Sarah and will continue to dance on forever. Thank you all!




No comments:

Post a Comment