Friday, March 2, 2012

Olympics, Boomba, and Games OH MY!

Wow was this weeks lab different! I was very nervous going into Lab 3 because my group worked with the Pre-K students! I was not sure what to expect because they are a hard group. They are young and normally want to do what they want, and not listen to others. 


This weeks theme was sports! I decided that I wanted to use the Olympics for the theme of the craft for the Pre-K students. I had them make their very own Olympic medals! When we walked over to the classroom from the gymnasium, and looked into the classroom I was immediately alarmed because their were about 20 students to start the day! I was told to plan for at most 15. This means I only had 15 medals! Luckily I had printed out Olympic  color sheets for the students, and this worked out well because some choose to do color instead of making the medals. I was a little surprised at first by the students who did not want to make a medal, but also felt a sense of relief because I did not want to be the person to tell them that we had no more medals! The craft ended up working out perfect. No mess and lots of fun for them! As students started to leave they all ran up to their parents showing them their awesome new medals, and you could see the excitement in their expressions.


Next Kendra read them a book that she brought. The kids LOVED it. The book was about penguins, Flip and Flop. They played a game called boomba in the book, and every time the students heard Kendra say boomba, they would then scream BOOMBA on the top of their lungs and starting laughing uncontrollably. They were all so excited for the book, they asked her to read it again when she was done! 


After snack, I got to read the students a book because we had a little bit of extra time before they got to go into the gymnasium. It was the simplest book I think I have ever seen, but again the excitement on their faces every time I asked them a question about the train was great! They wee all so enthusiastic about the books, and again this surprised me a lot. I was happy that they liked the books so much, and this settled them down a little for when we did go into the gymnasium. They were ready to listen to the explanations of the games and to play! 


Once we got to the gymnasium, the students would listen to our instructions however they did not follow them too well. For MK's game, they were supposed to listen to the locomotor skill that they were to perform, and do that over the jump ropes laid out on the floor. However, this turned into them sprinting across the course, rather then doing the locomotor skills. It was funny to see some them try to do the skills at first because they would try and hop and stumble a little, but try to hide it. 


Overall, I enjoyed working with the Pre-K students a lot more than I thought I would. They were so energetic and fun. It took a little bit of adjusting, but it really was an enjoyable day at St. Mary's!








Remember to check out my lab 3 assessment!

No comments:

Post a Comment