Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Winter Break

Over my winter break I was a volunteer for my old high school's winter track and field team. I assisted my old coaches in teaching high jump, hurdles, and shot put. This is an experience that will help me a lot in the long run. I was intimidated at first, but I found out after just one day that it was something I loved to do. 
One part of this experience really sticks out in my mind. After just one short week with 4 freshman girl high jumpers, I had helped them improve their jumps by at least 4" each. Now this may not seem like a lot, but 4" in one week for any high jumper is awesome! Before I came these girls could not clear opening height (4') at their first few meets, but by the time I was at a meet with them they were clearing multiple heights. I saw their confidence rise, and it really felt great to know that I helped these girls gain more confidence in themselves and their jumping.
I hope to continue having more experiences like this because to me this is what being a physical educator is about: helping students to achieve goals whether they be physical or mental.

No comments:

Post a Comment